Next week, we will celebrate our three year anniversary. Over the past year or so, I’ve thought a lot about marriage from time-to-time. We’ve had some rough spots during our relationship–some REALLY rough spots. But, mostly, we’ve been sharing a wonderful life together.
We’ve talked about marriage, but we seem to have differening views. I’m for it, where he isn’t quite as sure. Sometimes I think it’s mostly because our financial situation could be better, other times, I just don’t know.
If it is only finances holding him back, I don’t think it should. Here are my reasons:
- I don’t want/need a big, expensive ring
- My ideal ceremony would take place on the beach, with our parents, our kids, and our closest friends (ie: no major cost involved there that I can see). The simpler the better as far as I’m concerned. The point of it is us, not impressing anyone, having a big party, or fancy food. Pledging our love to each other, with the people we care about around us, in the most beautiful place on earth=perfection.
- A reception? Yes, I’d like one of those, but, again, nothing wild and crazy. Hell, a barbecue in our backyard sounds like fun to me! Casual, relaxed, spending time with the people who really matter to us…what could be better??
- As for a honeymoon, maybe someday. Sure it would be nice to take a trip and get away from it all for a while. But, who says it has to be right now? I’m happy being with him, no matter where we are!
- We live together, so nothing would really change afterward either. In fact, it may improve our tax situation! LOL!
I love him with all my heart and soul, and I love our life together. Being married won’t change that. Why am I so obsessed with the idea lately? Am I just old-fashioned, and believe that’s the next logical step?
I’ve told him all of this at one time or another. But, I try not to dwell on it because I feel like I’d be trying to convince him, or talk him into it, and I don’t want that. As I said to him the last time we discussed marriage, I also wouldn’t want him to propose just to try to make me happy either. We both deserve better than that.
I’ve been divorced since May of last year, not that that matters to me, but maybe it does to him? In all honesty though, I was not married to my ex, in any sense but legally, for much longer than that.
I was hoping by writing this it would purge my mind of this freaking obsession, but, so far, that hasn’t happened. *sigh*